New Features in Xcode 6Swift Language Swift is a new object-oriented programming language for iOS and OS X development. Swift is modern, powerful, expressive, and easy to use.
- Access all of the Cocoa and Cocoa Touch frameworks with Swift.
- Swift code is compiled and optimized by the advanced LLVM compiler to create high-performance apps.
- Safe by design: Swift pairs increased type safety with type inference, restricts direct access to pointers, and automatically manages memory using ARC to make it easy for you to use Swift and create secure, stable software. Other features related to language safety include mandatory variable initialization, automatic bounds checking to prevent overflows, conditionals break by default, and elimination of pointers to direct memory by default.
- Write, debug, and maintain less code, with an easy to write and read syntax and no headers to maintain.
- Swift includes optionals, generics, closures, tuples, and other modern language features. Inspired by and improving upon Objective-C, Swift code feels natural to read and write.
- Use Swift interactively to experiment with your ideas and see instant results.
- Swift is a complete replacement for both the C and Objective-C languages. Swift provides full object-oriented features, and includes low-level language primitives such as types, flow control, and operators.
Xcode 6 Features for Swift
Playgrounds. Playgrounds are an interactive development environment allowing you to experiment with Swift for prototyping, testing ideas, and so forth. Some uses for playgrounds include:
• Designing a new algorithm, watching its results every step of the way
• Experimenting with new API or trying out new Swift syntax
• Creating new tests and then verifying that they work before promoting them into your test suite