macOS 10.13 Developer Preview Seed 1 is pre-release software. Do not use this pre-release software in a commercial operating environment or with important data. You should back up all of your data before installing this software and regularly back up data while using the software.
Notes and Known Issues
Apple File System (APFS)
- Some 3rd party applications may not correctly recognize volumes when they are using APFS. In Microsoft Outlook message bodies does not load when the volume is formatted APFS. The Mid 2012 Mac Pro does not have support for APFS.
- Resizing APFS containers is not supported.
- The Disk Utility info pane may show incorrect information for encryption status for APFS volumes. System Image Utility does not work with APFS volumes.
- iMacs with 3TB of storage currently cannot be converted to APFS.
- HDD based Macs currently cannot be converted to APFS.
- In Disk Utility, sizes of unmounted APFS volumes are not depicted correctly in the storage bar of the APFS container.
Workaround: Use the “diskutil apfs list” command in Terminal.
- HDD-based Macs converted to APFS and bound to an Open Directory Server will hang on boot.
Workaround: Disable Open Directory services.
- Users are not automatically prompted to unlock encrypted volumes.
Workaround: Manually mount volume in Disk Utility or in Terminal.
HEVC and HEIF Images
- Some 3rd party apps may not fully support HEVC and HEIF images.
Kernel Extension Loading
- Some 3rd party apps may not fully handle instances where their kernel extension is denied user consent to load.
- Kernel extensions blocked in early boot do not display an alert.
- Some text may not be localized to the selected system language.
- Some languages may have clipped or misaligned layout.
- Hindi localization has been added to macOS.
- Device-based Volume Purchase Plan apps may not install.
- NetInstall is currently not supported.
- Importing a folder with sub-folders causes Photos to unexpectedly quit.
- Dragging more than 60 photos out of Photos fails.
Workaround: Use the export process found under the drop-down menu (File > Export).
- A new sync system has been introduced for bookmarks and Reading List. Migration to the new system will occur silently once all devices signed into your iCloud account are running the latest Developer Preview of macOS and iOS.
- On Early 2015 MacBook, HEVC/HDR HLS streams will not display on Safari without resizing the browser window.
- Setup Assistant does not support migrating iTunes. Users should refrain from updating iTunes if prompted during Migration.
Workaround: iTunes can be updated later using Software Update.
- Siri settings do not sync to other Macs.
- All Siri requests fail if iTunes is open in the background.
Workaround: Quit iTunes when you want to make Siri requests.
- All traffic goes over Wi-Fi when both Wi-Fi and USB Ethernet are available.
Workaround: Disable WiFi.