macOS 10.13 Developer Preview Seed 6 is pre-release software. Do not use this pre-release software in a commercial operating environment or with important data. You should back up all of your data before installing this software and regularly back up data while using the software.
Notes and Known Issues
- Time Machine is enabled for macOS High Sierra 10.13 beta 3 and later, and the space for snapshot is now freed correctly on APFS volumes.
- Resetting the NVRAM on a Mac with a bootable APFS partition no longer prevents that partition being used as the startup partition.
3rd Party Apps
- Microsoft Outlook 15.35 and later now launch on macOS 10.13 beta.
- League of Legends no longer quits unexpectedly on Mac models from 2012 and later.
- Enabling Dwell Control during an upgrade from macOS Sierra to macOS 10.13 beta no longer blocks the use of the system clock, other menu extras, the Assistive Control, or the Accessibility Preference pane.
Apple File System (APFS)
- Volumes with High Sierra beta 5 installed can’t be mounted or selected as a Startup Disk on systems running earlier versions of macOS.
- Fixed an issue that prevented enabling FileVault on APFS volumes.
- Fixed an issue where the encryption policy used for unencrypted APFS volumes that are converted to FileVault could cause the system to select the wrong block offset during the encryption process. Affected volumes need to be re-encrypted. Encrypted HFS+ volumes that have are converted to APFS are unaffected.
- Fixed an issue where an APFS container on a Fusion drive could have only 1 macOS 10.13 volume.
- Fixed an issue where APFS systems with FileVault enabled could not reset their password with iCloud.
- The X11 window manager now works on APFS formatted installation of macOS.
- Fixed an issue where systems might panic during app installation.
- Beta 5 adds APFS support for the Mid 2012 Mac Pro.
- Beta 5 adds decryption support for encrypted APFS volumes.
- Unsupported configurations in this seed release:
- HDD-only Macs cannot be converted to APFS.
- Some iMacs with 3TB Fusion drives and BootCamp may be unsupported for use with APFS.
- Resizing APFS containers is currently not supported in Disk Utility.
Workaround: In Terminal, use the diskutil tool to resize APFS containers.
- Some third-party applications may not correctly recognize volumes that are formatted using APFS.
- CloudKit does not support unsigned long long values with the high-order bit set.
Content Caching > Share Internet connection
- Fixed an issue where tethered iOS devices used only Wi-Fi when both Wi-Fi and USB Ethernet are available.
- Beta 5 adds Live Photo support.
- When iCloud recovery is enabled on an encrypted APFS volume, Password Reset no longer shows an error that iCloud recover is not enabled.
- Resolved an issue where APFS systems with FileVault enabled could not reset their password using iCloud.
- The progress indicator for copying files no longer persists after completion.
HEVC and HEIF Images
- macOS 10.13 adds HEVC and HEIF decode capability. In order to display HEIF image files or HEVC videos captured on iOS 11, your Mac needs to be updated to macOS 10.13.
- The specific hardware and software requirements for HEVC and HEIF are detailed in the WWDC 2017 presentations covering these new technologies. Depending on the capabilities of your Mac and the needs of your content, AVFoundation may use a software-based HEVC encoder which typically has longer encoding times. Further fine-tuning of the encoding quality will occur in subsequent seeds.
- Third-party apps that do not rely on the macOS-provided media frameworks may not properly handle these new formats.
- When you initially login to iCloud on macOS 10.13, you may find that some services do not sync correctly. If this happens, please log out of iCloud and log back in. This should allow your account to login fully and sync all services.
- Reinstalling macOS 10.13 from the Recovery OS no longer requires using Disk Utility to unlock your FileVault-encrypted volume.
- Resolved an issue where systems with less than 4 GB of RAM may hang when installing applications.
- During macOS High Sierra installation or during the first user login after installation, input methods no longer fail to load.
Kernel Extension Loading
- Some third-party apps may not fully handle instances where their kernel extension is denied user consent to load.
- Kernel extensions blocked in early boot do not display an alert.
- Some text may not be localized to the selected system language.
- Some languages may have clipped or misaligned layout.
Mac App Store
- Device-based Volume Purchase Program apps now install correctly.
- Enabling iCloud Messages now works if the Mac is not connected to the internet.
- NetInstall is not supported in this beta.
- System Image Utility does not work with APFS volumes.
- Wi-Fi password sharing and Personal Hotspot sharing on beta 2 and later now work with devices running beta 1.
- Password Reset no longer warns that iCloud recovery isn’t enabled on an encrypted APFS volume when it is enabled.
- Photos no longer unexpectedly quits when importing a folder that contains sub-folders.
- Photos no longer fail to import from iOS 10 devices.
- Some apps may crash when printing to certain Canon printers using the Canon driver or when installing a Canon printer driver from the print dialog.
- Printing documents with headers and footers no longer results in garbled or blank output, or in the application quitting unexpectedly.
- On a MacBook Pro with both discrete and integrated GPUs, using QuickLook to preview content forces the system to switch to the discrete GPU.
Workaround: In Terminal run “workaround: killall -9 QuickLookUIService” to stop the process.
- Bookmarks in the Favorites Bar or in the Bookmarks Menu are no longer missing.
- Switching to full screen video, or scrubbing video in YouTube now correctly updates the video and audio content.
- Search suggestions now appear in Safari.
- When entering data on a web form, empty Contacts AutoFill menus no longer stays on the screen until quitting Safari.
- Installing macOS will no longer remove your Safari Extensions.
- Changed the syncing system for Safari Bookmarks and Reading List across iCloud-enabled devices. Please report any bugs.
- Setup Assistant can now successfully update and migrate iTunes.
- Enabling FileVault in Setup Assistant no longer causes the system to hang in the “Setting Up Your Mac” dialog.
- Siri requests no longer fail if iTunes is open in the background.
- Switching Siri’s voice from the settings screen plays a voice that is not the default voice for several languages. The issue is resolved when the assets finishing downloading in the background.
- The progress indicator no longer stops displaying during installation.
- The Mac no longer gets stuck at a black screen with a cursor then first time you log in after a software update.
- Fixed an issue where Macs with a volume formatted using HFS+ may reboot even if the update did not occur.
- When editing documents in plain text mode, TextEdit no longer substitutes smart quote and smart dash by default. A new setting in preferences, “Smart quotes and dashes in rich text documents only”, enables toggling the behavior for plain text documents. In addition, it can be changed on a per-document basis from the Edit > Substitutions menu.
- In beta 3 and later, touch event processing for the Touch Bar has been modified to reduce accidental actions by ignoring touches lasting more than 1.5 seconds. In addition, the active area of a button or segmented control is slightly inset from its edges so that touches very close to either the left or right side are ignored.
Note: If you discover problems with either of these heuristics and your usage patterns, file a bug with a subject that starts with “Beta 3 Touch Bar Heuristic Issues: “.
- The volume and brightness controls in the Control Strip now include a flick gesture, a quick and short swipe to the left or right, for incrementing and decrementing the value without bringing up the slider.
- Portions of the Touch Bar no longer become blank.
- An issue preventing the appearance of volume and brightness sliders on tap and immediate drag on the Control Strip buttons has been fixed.
- Xcode 8 and earlier is now supported in macOS 10.13 Beta.